Skip to main content

This is Us: Tears are not the point

Like many Americans, I was a fan of NBC's "This is Us" from the beginning, and I'm one of millions who are looking forward to the onset of the new season tonight.

Why do I like this show? Well, I'm not normally a fan of trying to explain why I like something. Ask me why I like mustard and not mayonnaise, or why I like strawberries but not peaches, and I'm going to give you a blank stare.  There is no verbal explanation why I like something. I just do.


That said, I find it easy to name the many reasons why this show resonates with me. Sadly, NBC people responsible for marketing this show have missed all my reasons, and are putting a lot of undue focus on one thing: the show will make you cry. See here. And then there's this. Good grief.

I have to say: the "grab a box of Kleenex" stuff is a bit of a turnoff.

I'm not interested in watching a show because the marketers have convinced me that the scriptwriters can successfully manipulate me into shedding tears. I care about characters; about quality acting; about gifted people using their gifts to tell great stories.

My reasons for liking "This Is Us" include, but are not limited to:

1. The power of past experiences to shape our current lives.
Many shows feature occasional flashbacks from time to time, but the unique setup of "This is Us", which spends a roughly equal amount of its weekly hour of airtime in the past and also in the present, allows us to peer into the lives of a person, watch an event unfold, and then see how that has impacted him or her decades later. All of us are who we are now as an accumulation of our experiences, and "This is Us" enters uncharted waters to go beyond simple flashbacks in order to capture and present this truth to its audience.

Because of this, we watch the story unfold each week, ready to learn more about what those kids went through when they were babies, or 8, or 12, which led to them becoming their modern selves.

You don't just look forward to what's new with the Pearson clan; you look forward to finding out what's old with them.


2. Relatable characters, but not exactly.
This is not the first series to feature characters we can relate to. There's no doubt that relatability is a key element in any show that wants to grab and retain an audience. We like watching people who are familiar to us, acting out situations we know all too well.

What's amazing about "This is Us" is how a show can be so relatable, with a situation so uncommon that virtually nobody has experienced all or most of it:

Think about it: who do you know who was raised in a family with both adopted and natural-born siblings; of multiple races; where a father was both a terribly selfish alcoholic and also a teetotaling dedicated, loving dad? What families do you know where members experience substance abuse, cancer, obesity, and fame?

OK, all of us know someone who has some of those things going on, but not in one family. Despite that, we can jump right into this family each week and nod our heads as we recognize events and situations and people which are not new to us.

3. Love and war among siblings
The way the kids are rivals with each other, but turn into loving cheerleaders as adults.  Lots of kids argue. Many find ways to compete with each other. Some brothers and sisters go too far and display genuine hostility towards siblings. But I love how the adult Pearsons truly love and support each other even as they open up about past hurts.


These are but a few of the reasons I will be tuning in tonight, and every Tuesday for the foreseeable future.

But be sure of this: I'll be accompanied on my couch by a big bowl of popcorn, and no tissues.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saying goodbye to one set of twins, and hello to another

"It's been ten whole years already? Wow! Hard to believe." Many a father will say something like that while shaking his head in disbelief, when his oldest approaches the 10th birthday. It's a milestone, not just for the kid, but for the parents. It's a head-shaker because I am reminded that on that day, 10 years ago, my life changed forever. In some ways, it has passed very quickly.  In other ways, it seems like it's been every bit of ten years. There are two distinct things, though, about the ten-year anniversary of my dadhood. The first is that I became a father of not one, but two little bundles of joy that Tuesday morning. Abby was born at 8:48, followed by her brother Jacob at 8:50. The second is that their birth marked some rare joy in the midst of the darkest day in our nation's history.  As my wife was in labor, a nurse came in and told us that an airplane had crashed into a skyscraper in New York. I turned on the labor room

The Two Christmases

As I walked through the front door of the Post Office to make my stamp purchase, I was faced with a choice. On my left was a vending machine, and to my right was the customer service desk, where I could make the purchase from actual human beings. Because there was no line at the moment, I chose the human interaction. I strolled up to the middle-aged, slightly balding postal employee, read that his name was "Rex", and I asked for two books of stamps. As it was mid-December, Rex asked me "would you like Christmas stamps, or...". Once I realized he wasn't about to complete the sentence, I looked down and saw that he was holding some very un-Christmas-like stamps bearing images of the Liberty Bell and the word "Forever." Knowing that my wife had planned to mail several Christmas cards, I told him "One of each." To my surprise, the decision-making did not stop there. Rex hit me with a follow-up: he held up two types of stamps: one had a pi

Embarrassing video clip--John Cougar

I recently stumbled across some Youtube gold: a live performance by John Mellencamp when he was Johnny Cougar. He appears to be have been about 23, and he's singing "Ain't even Done With The Night", in front of a fairly unresponsive crowd with Bobby Bare (?!) in the front seat. Cougar/Mellencamp is dressed in a nerdy sweater and generally bears no resemblance to the singer as we knew him just 5 years later. He looks a lot more like Potsie from Happy Days than the guy who sang "Pink Houses". Certainly, there is no way to watch this and make a connection to the guy whose song "This is Our Country" beat us to death by overuse in pickup truck commercials. But the real entertainment value from this clip comes from the guys behind Cougar. In hot-pink tuxedos, there are 5 Pips-like backup dancers/singers who don't sing, but clap their hands real well. They essentially spend the entire song performing cheerleader dance routines not unlike those