Skip to main content

Picking sides

When U2 performed in the Super Bowl in 2002, the nation was still hurting from the 9/11 attacks. If you take a few minutes to view the clip at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n13CU-NvPMU , you'll note that around the 1:20 mark, Bono says this, twice: "O Lord, open my lips, That my mouth may declare Your praise." This is from Psalm 51:15. The band then launches into "Where the Streets Have No Name."

As the story goes, the song gets its roots in the fact that in Ireland, the tension between Catholics and Protestants is so strong that they segregate themselves by neighborhoods. When you meet a person, you determine if you are going to like them or not when he tells you the name of the street he lives on. Bono, the son of a rare combination of Catholic/Protestant parentage, looks forward to a time and a place where street names -- representative of those things that divide us into opposing groups -- will no longer be important.

Although this message was certainly timely in the aftermath of 9/11, its importance stretches across time and into practically all aspects of life. It is apparently human nature which causes us to take sides, and to demonize those on the other side. In the IT world where I have spent the last several years of my working life, arguments about Linux vs. Windows can get pretty contentious. In the web design world, it's Mac vs. PC. I just read a story today that Bill Gates forbids his family to purchase an iPod or iPhone. It seems we are unable to acknowledge that "the other team" might have something worthwhile to offer. My friends who live in Albuquerque tell me that you are either a green chili person or a red chili person. You must choose.

Donald Miller recently pointed this out on his blog, www.donmilleris.com, using the Mac vs. PC commercials as a strong example of how an entire marketing campaign is based on this "us-vs.-them" mentality. Although I love Don's writing, I have found examples in his speaking and writing where he perpetuates the same divisiveness along political lines. I don't say this to slam Miller, but to point out that all of us are bound by this tendency, regardless of how hard we try to free ourselves from its grip.

Probably the most surprising example of this phenomenon in my life was when I was at a national gathering of Christian men in October of 1997. There were hundreds of thousands of us, praying, crying, sensing the presence of the Holy Spirit in a profound way. We were repenting of our sins, trying to get right with God. We were breaking down walls of race and denomination. But as I found out, not all walls go down as easily as others.

It was lunchtime, and I got in line at a fast-food place. I struck up a conversation with a man in front of me, and once he found out I was from the Dallas area, he informed me that he was from Philadelphia. While he wasn't rude, he did rib me a bit about how much the Philly fan hates the everything Cowboys-related. It was clear that something happened in the conversation once my affiliation became known. While the men gathered there that day did find themselves on the receiving end of protests from some women's groups, I was shocked that the division among the attendees themselves would be manifest, and would be based on sports, of all things. I could understand somewhat if the difference were, say Israel vs. PLO. But the atmosphere in the conversation changed based on the fact that I root for the team that that guy hates.

This thing has no limit. People draw lines based on so many dichotomies that I cannot possibly list them all.

Dogs vs. cats.
Union vs. non-union.
Once-saved-always-saved vs. those who believe otherwise. (I got into an argument with my uncle about this one evening in 1983, and it got intense, because I couldn't accept the fact that he saw this issue differently I did. Tragically, it was the last conversation we had, as he unexpectedly died before I saw him again.)
Calvinist vs. Armenian
Leno vs. Letterman

Why do we do this? Why do Republicans assume the worst about Democrats, and vice Versa? Why do we forgive those on "our side" for actions while blasting those from the other team for the same actions? Is this human nature? Is it something that will never go away until Jesus returns? Lord, I hope not.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saying goodbye to one set of twins, and hello to another

"It's been ten whole years already? Wow! Hard to believe." Many a father will say something like that while shaking his head in disbelief, when his oldest approaches the 10th birthday. It's a milestone, not just for the kid, but for the parents. It's a head-shaker because I am reminded that on that day, 10 years ago, my life changed forever. In some ways, it has passed very quickly.  In other ways, it seems like it's been every bit of ten years. There are two distinct things, though, about the ten-year anniversary of my dadhood. The first is that I became a father of not one, but two little bundles of joy that Tuesday morning. Abby was born at 8:48, followed by her brother Jacob at 8:50. The second is that their birth marked some rare joy in the midst of the darkest day in our nation's history.  As my wife was in labor, a nurse came in and told us that an airplane had crashed into a skyscraper in New York. I turned on the labor room

The Two Christmases

As I walked through the front door of the Post Office to make my stamp purchase, I was faced with a choice. On my left was a vending machine, and to my right was the customer service desk, where I could make the purchase from actual human beings. Because there was no line at the moment, I chose the human interaction. I strolled up to the middle-aged, slightly balding postal employee, read that his name was "Rex", and I asked for two books of stamps. As it was mid-December, Rex asked me "would you like Christmas stamps, or...". Once I realized he wasn't about to complete the sentence, I looked down and saw that he was holding some very un-Christmas-like stamps bearing images of the Liberty Bell and the word "Forever." Knowing that my wife had planned to mail several Christmas cards, I told him "One of each." To my surprise, the decision-making did not stop there. Rex hit me with a follow-up: he held up two types of stamps: one had a pi

Embarrassing video clip--John Cougar

I recently stumbled across some Youtube gold: a live performance by John Mellencamp when he was Johnny Cougar. He appears to be have been about 23, and he's singing "Ain't even Done With The Night", in front of a fairly unresponsive crowd with Bobby Bare (?!) in the front seat. Cougar/Mellencamp is dressed in a nerdy sweater and generally bears no resemblance to the singer as we knew him just 5 years later. He looks a lot more like Potsie from Happy Days than the guy who sang "Pink Houses". Certainly, there is no way to watch this and make a connection to the guy whose song "This is Our Country" beat us to death by overuse in pickup truck commercials. But the real entertainment value from this clip comes from the guys behind Cougar. In hot-pink tuxedos, there are 5 Pips-like backup dancers/singers who don't sing, but clap their hands real well. They essentially spend the entire song performing cheerleader dance routines not unlike those